Thursday 4 August 2011

apologetics

I've been busy reading in preparation for my next essay, which is on apologetics. The actual title is very long and rather woolly, but basically it comes down to what is apologetics? and how would you prioritize different things within it?

I've really enjoyed reading "Humble Apologetics" by Stackhouse, so much friendler in tone than many apologetics books. He has a rather tongue-in-cheek definition of apologetics as 'making the other person sorry they asked why you were a Christian'. ;-)
I hope I don't do that, but I suspect I do fit another definition Stackhouse had: 'explaining why you're sorry you're a Christian'....

So any other ideas for what apologetics means or involves?

2 comments:

  1. I prefer Ravi Zacherias' definition. Apologetics is not saying that you are sorry you are a Christian. It is also not making the other guy sorry you are a Christian. Apologetics means following (among other verses) 1 Peter 3:15 "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi robertvroom - I was tongue firmly in cheek with those definitions ;-)
    I surprised myself by getting the essay written quite quickly, and it was based on 1 Peter 3:15.
    And I thought that 'Humble Apologetics' by Stackhouse was sooo good that I bought my own copy. Well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete