Sunday 1 January 2012

Very random

Church this morning got me thinking. It was a slightly strange mix of carols (for which I was responsible - after all, I was playing the piano, so I got to choose the music!) and the great commandment: to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul and all your strength, and your neighbour as yourself.
A strange juxtaposition took place. 'If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb' gave me an image of a cute, freshly washed and blow-dried (hence extremely white and fluffy) lamb being presented to Jesus. But what if the only lamb available were lame, one-eyed and rather bedraggled? Would you still give a lamb? Or would you keep away, knowing what a pathetic specimen it was? Would you go empty-handed? Or frantically try to find something else to take instead?*
But we weren't talking about giving lambs. We were talking about love. About heart, soul, mind and strength. Somehow I had an equivalent of the whiter-than-white fluffy lamb in my mind. A pure heart, an unfettered soul, a mind fixed on God and strength which endures. Except I don't have that. I have a heart which has been scarred, a soul which is tattered, a mind which remembers the times it seems God has let me down, and strength which has almost disappeared. So do I give my lame, one-eyed, bedraggled lamb as a present? Or do I stay away, ashamed of what I have to give? At the minute I seem to be hunting around so I can take the equivalent of an unwanted knitted jumper that was the wrong size for me so never worn, but it looks nice so I can pretend there was some thought behind it...


* this may be a female instinct to not turn up empty-handed (it certainly seems to be in our house)

2 comments:

  1. As someone who spends a fair amount of time 'redeeming' other people's knitting disasters, I'd be inclined to give the naff jumper. If He can turn water into wine, then producing something fabulous out of a tangle of ill-fitting wool shouldn't be a problem. The unwinding, detangling and reknitting will inevitably be slow and painful, but the end result will be awesome!

    new year blessings to you and your beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that I'm supposed to be taking a moth-eaten lamb rather than an unwanted jumper...

    ReplyDelete