Sunday 24 January 2010

1 step forward, 2 back

Well, this forgiveness business seems to be a case of 1 step forward, 2 back. Just when I think things are under control and I am managing to forgive the people concerned, something happens and I realise the hurt and feeling of injustice is still there. I suppose that's inevitable given that the situation is ongoing. But it had never occurred to me before that when Jesus said to forgive 70 times 7, it might refer to a single event. That a daily decision (sometimes an hourly decision) to forgive may be required. That forgiving is an ongoing recurrent repeated decision.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard that passage preached that way. The preachers I've heard seem to think forgiveness is a one-off event, that once you forgive, you automatically forget. Therefore the forgiving 70 times 7 refers to different events.

Currently, I'm still trying to forgive a particular episode. Only another 484 times to go ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment