Sunday 7 March 2010

Cleaning the oven....

Yesterday we cleaned the oven. Not a big deal, you might think. You hadn't seen it. The bottom was covered in black welded-on bits of unrecognisable charcoal that had once been food (probably mostly cheese which has an amazing tendency to leap off the side of the pizza).
To be honest, I hate housework. The only time it gets done is just before people are coming round. And my husband isn't any more fond of it than I am. Hence the state of the oven, which hadn't been cleaned for ** months (no, I'm NOT going to put in the true number!).
So, having bought the industrial-strength oven cleaning stuff, we finally worked out a night when we wouldn't be using the oven. I duly applied the foam, and then left it to work its magic. Except you're supposed to clean it off after 2 hours, and I forgot until 4 hours later. I was half afraid it might have burnt a hole through the bottom of the oven, but it hadn't. Despite the claims on the can, it hadn't removed all the gunge either. Nothing for it but to try again. And again, I forgot when it was time. This time, hubby remembered after 3 hours, and volunteered to remove the debris.
So now the oven is considerably cleaner than before, but still has various charcoal additions which don't want to come off...

It got me thinking. How much rubbish do I carry around with me that eventually becomes so stuck that it's almost impossible for God to remove? Why don't I have a good clean out more often when I know things are easier to deal with before they become cemented on?
And how can I persuade someone else to do the housework? ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Your oven sounds as if it lives the same sort of neglected life that mine does. The stuff you put in a bag [with that ghastly ad about 'even a man can do it'] is useful. Re 'spiritual debris' - that's one you have to sort out for yourself. I am very much afraid [after over 30 yrs of trying to avoid doing it myself] that housework falls into the same category [well it does if you are a Pastor's wife, without a vast second income to pay a cleaner!!]
    I was once described as "A woman who loves her husband but hates housework" - and I am happy to concur with that description. My relationship with my man is FAR more important than my relationship with the Manse Kitchen floor. [altho right now, I am sticking WITH him, and sticking TO the floor!]
    Hang in there - and keep on blogging, I find it helps get things out of your system!
    Blessings x

    ReplyDelete