Monday 10 May 2010

chocolate theology


Sorry to anyone waiting for the actual theology I read on holiday - this is a digression. Yesterday was not a particularly good day for me. It is extremely strange being in a church where I don't know anyone and have nothing to do, and the preacher isn't my husband. It WAS nice having him sitting next to me and passing tissues over at appropriate intervals...
So I spent the evening cheering myself up by overcoming the gates of hell. For the uninitiated, this means eating Toblerone chocolate...
This stems from a remark I made at a Bible study about how I had been very confused by an ikon I'd seen in Greek Orthodox churches in which Jesus seemed to be standing on two Toblerone bars. It took me a while to realise the two yellow things near the base of the ikon are actually the gates of hell!

I hope that might encourage some of you to do the same ;-)

3 comments:

  1. But surely the two people on either side are standing in boxes full of crushed oreo cookies? Or maybe it is melted Bournville?
    The whole idea of a Chocolate Theology is very appealing. You probably know that Ferrero Rocher was in fact a Swiss reformer, who corresponded with Erasmus, and Snickers used to be called 'Marathon' which is a corruption of 'Melancthon'. The anabaptists were villified for their practice of 're -dunking' chocolate digestives in their tea.
    Then of course, in the early days of the charismatic movement, American pentecostals got into major trouble for bestowing "Hershey's Kisses" on fellow worshippers.
    [I am not bothering to mention all the obvious Quaker influences like Cadbury etc]
    Can we get someone to sponsor us in this research ?? - you do the theology of chocolate, and I will do the hymnology of the Biscuit, [ Fig Newton, anybody?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. further comment - Bob says you have biblical evidence in 1 Thessalonians "we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the Aero"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think someone has already started the chocolate theology....

    http://fireandrose.blogspot.com/2007/07/theology-of-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete