Monday 28 November 2011

new songs for old

I've just realised I'm getting old.
I've just received my copy of Songs of Fellowship 5 (music version) and was looking through it. The first thing that struck me is how many of the songs are actually old (and still fairly well-known hymns) which have been 'tweaked' ever so slightly. It appears that by adding an extra line or two, you can then re-copyright the song and get royalties for it.
So I found myself muttering that the old tunes were fine and didn't need anyone mucking around with them.
This is actually rather hypocritical as I occasionally come up with new versions of tunes for well-known hymns myself ;-)

However, when I got to 'Immortal invisible, God only wise' I spluttered to a halt. Why?
Because the first verse goes:
Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inacessible hid from our eyes.
Most blessed, most glorious, the ancient of days,
Almighty, victorious, thy great name we praise.

But the chorus that's been added basically says 'there is none like you, Jesus'

Jesus immortal? Well, that has to be a yes and no.
Invisible? Hidden? Inacessible?

Like I said, I'm getting old and nitpicky

2 comments:

  1. So, is it worth me forking out the money? Or do I just upgrade HymnQuest again as everyhting that's worth using is somewhere else already?

    Nitpicky? No. Theologically savvy? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't actually played anything yet. It looks like there are some good Stewart Townend ones in it. As I don't know HymnQuest I can't really comment, but on balance probably not worth forking out for given you have access to other sources.

    ReplyDelete