Saturday 23 March 2013

poem

MrPM has been writing poetry for a while now, and his stuff is pretty good. He can do the whole rhyme and meter thing, which I can't.
Today's suggested topic is having tea with Miss Marple (or anybody you want). For me there was only one choice...

I can't believe he came.
True, he brought the rest of the gang,
But that goes with the territory.

I had plenty of mugs
Although the kettle was on overtime.
All duly watered
(or rather, caffeinated),
We sat and chatted.

Well, they chatted.
I mostly listened.
Stories of a distant land,
New and unfamiliar,
Yet peopled with familiar faces.
A place where time did not matter...
As it did not matter to me.

But then the grumbling
Started. First one, then another
Stomach followed suit.
I tore myself away to
Kitchen duty,
Only to remember
I had forgotten
To go shopping.

Shamefaced,
I re-entered the room,
Clutching a tuna sandwich.
"Can you do anything with this, Jesus?"

13 comments:

  1. so very cool.. oh i'm sure he can do something with it...so very sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles...loaves and fishes in one...bet he can make a whole sandwich tray out of it...smiles. and mark sure you balance your martha and mary as well...ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. More rumbling than grumbling I hope :-)
    What a visit that would be. 2000 years ago it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.
    [Thanks for the Durham reminder.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess if anyone could Jesus could that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too kool. I like the presentation and voice. Yes I think His presence could cause one to forget to go to the store. Of course if you had one tuna sandwich I'm sure He could make it more. A real blessing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. this made me smile. of course that would be the day you'd forget to go shopping. i loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Jesus could if he wished to; a great interaction here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww... I'm sure it turned into a feast!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tuna or no tuna, how could one ever be prepared? Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be me...
    oh how many ways he can multiply our meagerness when we ask for help. Loved this. Glad to visit here! = )

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...well done..they had wine in chalices at the Last Supper...could have happened there, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful imagination and a tuna sandwich would have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a truly gorgeous write, in every way - you are a poet! - & there's something timeless about this, some might say it's b/c of who the subject is... but i say it's in the writing just as much

    ReplyDelete