Saturday 20 February 2010

Bullying

I came across this website:
http://www.balmnet.co.uk/index.htm

It defines bullying of clergy as "Any unreasonable behaviour towards Christian ministers which undermines their ministry, causes excessive stress, and threatens their health, eg. constant criticism, shouting, threats, manipulation, lack of respect for time off, unrealistic expectations, lack of support, and even on occasions physical violence."

And the results of this? "Prolonged negative stress can cause anxiety, fatigue, trauma, social phobia, poor concentration, anger, irritability, loss of self-confidence and self-esteem, depression, family breakdown, isolation, loss of faith, church phobia, frequent illness, prolonged absence from work, and in severe cases an end to ministry altogether."

From what I've witnessed, most of those examples of bullying apply to our situation (although not shouting or physical violence). I think having the leadership tell you you are incompetent and should resign counts as "lack of support"... (No, he's not brilliant at everything (who is?), but his preaching is outstanding and he's great in emergencies)
And as for the results: almost all apply. I've not lost my faith in God, but am finding my faith in the church severely tested. And it puts me off interacting with God, because that reminds me of the whole awful mess...

Why are we still here? Why don't we just leave?
Because we still think God called and is calling us to be here. Because we still have the vision for the church. Because we know there are others who share that vision.
I wish God would call us somewhere else. I'd miss my friends. I don't like change. But it's getting to the stage where I don't know how much more we can take.
Then I think of all those Christians who have sacrificed so much more for their faith, who have kept their faith despite persecution (even to death).
Does it make a difference if your persecutors are within your own church???

No comments:

Post a Comment