Monday 13 September 2010

cheese

I'm not sure if this is just a local problem, or if it happens elsewhere too. I went to the local supermarket to buy cheese. There were about 60 varieties of Cheddar (which I'm not particularly keen on). But no Cheshire, Caerphilly, Wensleydale or even Red Leicester or Double Gloucester to be seen. Our local supermarket isn't a particularly large one, so I though I'd pick some up at the big superstore (different firm as well). But even there, I found rows and rows of Cheddar, and had to really search before I found the Red Leicester and Double Gloucester. Of Cheshire, Caerphilly, Wensleydale (the sort without the fruit!) I could find no trace whatsoever!
Is this a global conspiracy? Is Cheddar the new orthodoxy?

3 comments:

  1. How weird. Last December I tried to buy cheddar in Glasgow and all I could get were.... wensleydael, red leicester, double gloucester etc. etc. and that was with at least three different chains. Maybe cheese has suddenly become seasonal?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to check this out. I cannot eat regular cheese, but buy it for husband - we usually have lots of Red Leicester and Stilton round here cos it is local.
    But for a non cheese eater it is a minefield - they offer me samples of low fat, mild, mature, extra mature, extra low fat mature...and I dare not taste any of them!
    I am limited to Laughing Cow Low Fat Triangles, which Bob says are not real cheese anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stilton is definitely seasonal - unless you live in the area. It only appears in December and it's all gone by the end of January.

    ReplyDelete